Postgraduate Research Sector visa
This visa allows you to stay in Australia to do postgraduate research.
Streamlined Visa Processing
Streamlined visa processing for this visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia at a participating university. You may be eligible for streamlined visa processing if your main course of study is a Master’s degree by research or a Doctoral degree.
You might be able to get this visa if you are enrolled as a student in a registered course for the award of:
– A master’s degree by research
– A doctoral degree.
About this visa:
This visa is designed for international students who want to study a Masters degree by research or a Doctoral degree in Australia.
Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if you want to do one of the following:
– Apply for your first student visa
– Apply for subsequent student visa
– Apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.
If you are applying in Australia for this visa, you must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application.
How much will this visa cost?
There is an application charge for this visa. We do not usually refund the visa application charge, even if the visa application is refused or withdrawn.
You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.
What does this visa let me do?
With this visa:
– You can study in Australia
– Eligible dependent family members can accompany you to Australia
– You can work unlimited hours once you have commenced your masters by research or doctorate course of study in Australia
– Your family members can work unlimited hours once you have commenced your masters by research or doctorate course of study in Australia
If you have commenced a preliminary course (such as an ELICOS course) you and your family members are restricted to working 40 hours per fortnight until you have commenced your masters or doctorate course of study in Australia.
If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.
Your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.
Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.